Our team elucidate the role of 5 out of the 7 NRT2 members in Arabidopsis:
- In collaboration with the team of Alain Gojon in Montpellier, we showed that NRT2.1 is a plasma-membrane protein, being the main actor of high-affinity nitrate uptake by roots [2, 3].
- The NRT2.7 is expressed on tonoplast and is involved in nitrate storage in seed, playing a role in seed dormancy .
- More recently, in collaboration with our colleagues from Riken Institute, we demonstrated  that NRT2.4 is a very-high affinity nitrate transporter, located n the plasma membrane, which expression is induced during long term nitrogen starvation.
- In collaboration with the team of Mathilde Fagard (IJPB, NPI), we obtained a surprising result from the functional analysis of NRT2.6 protein . It seems to be involved ROS accumulation, making the link between plant responses to biotic and abiotic stresses.
1. DECHORGNAT J, NGUYEN CT, ARMENGAUD P, JOSSIER M, DIATLOFF E, FILLEUR S, DANIEL-VEDELE F (2011) From the soil to the seeds : the long journey of nitrate in plants. J Exp Bot 62: 1349-1359
2 . FILLEUR S., DORBE M.F., CEREZO M., ORSEL M., GRANIER F., GOJON A., DANIEL-VEDELE F. (2001) An arabidopsis T-DNA mutant affected in Nrt2 genes is impaired in nitrate uptake FEBS Letters 489: 220-224
3. Cerezo M., Tillard P., Filleur S., Munos S., Daniel-Vedele F. and Gojon A. (2001) Major alterations of the regulation of root NO3- uptake are associated with the mutation of NRT2.1 and NRT2.2 genes in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology127 : 262-71.
4. Chopin F, Orsel M, Dorbe MF, Chardon F, Truong HN, Miller T, Krapp A, Daniel-Vedele F. (2007) The arabidopsis ATNRT2.7 nitrate transporter gene controls nitrate content in seeds. The Plant Cell 19: 1590-1602.
5. KIBA T, FERIA-BOURRELIER AB, LAFOUGE F, LEZHNEVA L, BOUTET-MERCEY S, ORSEL M, BREHAUT V, MILLER T, DANIEL-VEDELE F, SAKAKIBARA H, KRAPP A. (2012) The Arabidopsis nitrate transporter NRT2.4 plays a double role in roots ans shoots of nitrogen-starved plants. Plant Cell 24: 245-258.
6. DECHORGNAT J, PATRIT O, KRAPP A, FAGARD M, DANIEL-VEDELE F. (2012) Characterization of the NRT2.6 gene in Arabidopsis thaliana : a link with plant response to biotic and abiotic stress Plos One 7:e42491.